One family, surnamed Zhang, had reportedly noticed that the biscuits had been expired for four days and reported them to a crew member, who agreed to replace hers but not to alert the other passengers. About half an hour later, a bout of diarrhea and vomiting swept through the cabin, affecting at least 30 people, who formed massive queues in front of the lavatories.
Fifteen people took ill in a possible case of food poisoning during a trans-Atlantic flight Wednesday, officials told ABC News.
Inspectors with the local health department and U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention met Delta Flight 72 as it arrived at Kennedy International Airport in New York around 5 p.m., airport officials said. The flight originated in Istanbul, Turkey.
“They had stomach cramps and were vomiting,” said one source.
The stricken passengers were interviewed and declined offers to be transported to a hospital for further treatment.
Yahoo! Sports reports that Cliff Thompson is 2-0 in UFC, won his split decision over Doug Usher, but will still be remembered as the guy who puked before he could say a word in his post-fight interview.
Cleaning up vomit is serious business, especially if norovirus is involved because the viral particles can aerosolize.
The City of Woodstock, Ontario, Caanda, is looking into imposing a $120 charge on anyone who vomits or leaves other bodily fluids in taxis.
A taxi industry representative recently told council that vomit and other body fluids must be dealt with as a bio hazard and the affected cab must be taken off the road until it is professionally cleaned.
That costs about $120.
The city plans to consult with its solicitor, police and bylaw enforcement officials before coming up with a report on how to deal with the issue.
Solano et al. report in Food Control that an outbreak of acute gastroenteritis due to staphylococcal food poisoning occurred in July 2011 at a summer school held by a sports club in Barcelona (Catalonia, Spain). Of the 42 cases involved, 20 were hospitalised. To identify the outbreak source, a retrospective cohort study was performed on the group at risk, which included 73 summer school students and 18 staff members. Food exposure at the sports club restaurant was identified as the most relevant common link among the study cohort.
Although the preliminary microbiological investigation suggested that enterotoxigenic Staphylococcus aureus (S. aureus) infections were the possible source, enterotoxin types A and D were identified, quantified and confirmed in the different biological samples collected. A descriptive, in-depth epidemiological and clinical investigation subsequently pointed to food intoxication rather than bacterial infection as being the cause of the outbreak. Molecular investigation of the strain isolates, using pulsed-field gel electrophoresis typing, revealed that all eight strains of S. aureus had the same profile and spa type (t008).
Samples of the incriminated foods, i.e., boiled macaroni, tuna and fresh tomatoes, specimens of vomit of those affected, and bilateral fingernail scrapings and nasal swabs of food handlers were shown to be the common source of transmission of the contamination. Following the outbreak, appropriate hygiene and control measures could be implemented to prevent any recurrence.
Volume 33, Issue 1, September 2013, Pages 114–118
My parents just returned from a cruise out of eastern Florida. No reports of barfing.
But Contact 5 Investigators in West Palm Beach are asking, could cruise ship workers be putting you at risk?
NewsChannel 5 searched through hundreds of inspection reports for every cruise ship that comes in and out of U.S. ports and discovered passengers can spread the norovirus, but who’s watching out for the
Inspection reports for a cruise over the last year on the Carnival Freedom show a butcher got sick on board back in June and didn’t tell the on board doctor until the next day. Plus, they claim he continued working while having symptoms.
It was a similar case for a waiter back in January. Reports show the worker was “given a warning. ”
Inspectors with the Centers for Disease Control say workers are required to report an illness right away. Plus, food workers are supposed to be isolated for at least two days, but that’s not always happening.
The Contact 5 Investigators checked on about 170 ships that come in and out of U.S. ports. Fifty nine of those ships had workers that didn’t report the illness properly, according to inspection reports. There was a total of 130 workers from waiters, to bartenders, to workers who wash the dishes.
Inspection reports for the Allure of the Seas show a café attendant worked the day she was sick and “broke medical isolation” to go to the laundry room and to the ship’s café.
On the Freedom of the Seas, a worker who cleans the ship had diarrhea and stomach cramps but didn’t report it until 12 hours later and continued cleaning.
The Centers for Disease Control is in charge of inspecting cruise ships at least once a year while they’re docked at a port.
“If you have a food worker who’s ill who’s working with food, that’ a common, really a classic way to transmit illness,” said Captain Jaret Ames, Chief of CDC’s Vessel Sanitation Program
“It’s absolutely wrong and it’s absolutely a famous way to make people sick,” said Captain Ames.
KTHV reports the Lincoln School District in Arkansas was forced to close for a few days after a widespread stomach illness wreaked havoc.
The janitorial staff is currently trying to spend it’s time cleaning up and sanitizing the “huge amounts of vomit” before the school reopens.
“Norovirus is much more contagious than people think,” said Doug Powell, professor of food safety at Kansas State University. “In the past, we’ve seen multiple outbreaks in group settings like cruise ships, care facilities, university residences, schools, sporting teams and restaurants. It’s a massive amount of barf.”
“Many people say they routinely wash their hands, but even in an outbreak situation, observational research shows they really don’t,” Powell said. “And it’s not enough to say, ‘Wash your hands.’ There needs to be access to proper hand-washing tools — vigorous running water, soap and paper towels — as well as compelling behavioral messages, like ‘Don’t make others barf,’ to get people to wash their hands.”
Powell includes more information about the current norovirus outbreak on his blog:http://barfblog.com/categories/norovirus/.
After arriving in Brisbane this morning with a large bag of hockey equipment, it warmed my cockles – which didn’t need warming in the 85F heat and 8,000% humidity – to discover that a minor league hockey promotion went horribly awry after college students began puking on the ice after chugging beers as part of the “College Olympics” during intermission at the Rapid City Rush game in South Dakota.
According to the Rapid City Journal, two male students vomited on the ice in front of 5,000 fans after chugging four beers while running on the ice, riding a cooler and spinning around a hockey stick.
“It was meant to be fun, but it went completely wrong,” Rush General Manager Tim Hill told the Journal. “I apologize on behalf the organization. Obviously it was in poor taste. The intermission game was not appropriate, and it’s just something we will never do again.”
Since September, more than 140 outbreaks in the U.S. have been caused by the new Sydney strain of norovirus. It may not be unusually dangerous; some scientists don’t think it is. But it is different, and many people might not be able to fight off its gut-wrenching effects.
A report by the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention states the Sydney strain is now accounting for about 60 percent of norovirus outbreaks.
Sometimes mistakenly called stomach flu, the virus causes bouts of vomiting and diarrhea for a few days.
Every two or three years, a new strain evolves — the last was in 2009. The Sydney strain’s appearance has coincided with a spike in influenza, perhaps contributing to the perception that this is a particularly bad flu season in the U.S.
Norovirus is also the most common cause of food poisoning in the U.S.
Each year, noroviruses cause an estimated 21 million illnesses and 800 deaths, the CDC says.
Seven outbreaks have been confirmed across North Carolina so far in 2013. Years with new strains tend to have the highest numbers of cases because virtually no one has immunity, said Ralph Baric, a professor of epidemiology at the Gillings School of Global Public Health at UNC-Chapel Hill.
Noroviruses are more contagious than most viruses. People shed millions of the virus particles in their stool and vomit said Dr. Zack Moore, a medical epidemiologist for the state health department, but it only takes between 10 and 100 particles to infect someone.
“It’s such a common infection because it’s very hardy. It can live on surfaces in the environment if it gets onto them, and the usual types of disinfectants aren’t effective against it,” Moore said. “If there are areas that have been contaminated, you have to use a dilute bleach solution to kill the norovirus.”
CDC says, “proper hand hygiene, environmental disinfection, and isolation of ill persons remain the mainstays of norovirus prevention and control.”
For those infected, there’s really no medicine. They just have to ride it out for the day or two of severe symptoms, and guard against dehydration, experts said.
The illness got the attention of comedian Stephen Colbert, who this week tweeted: “Remember, if you’re in public and have the winter vomiting bug, be polite and vomit into your elbow.”