CBS News reports the CDC is investigating an outbreak of a stomach bug aboard the Disney Wonder cruise ship last week.
The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention says that 92 passengers and 5 crew members reported falling ill.
The ship had almost 2,700 passengers and almost 1,000 crew members. It left Miami last Wednesday and returned Sunday after going to the Bahamas.
A spokeswoman says Disney Cruise Line implemented added sanitation measures such as continuous cleaning of handrails. Self-service stations at buffets and ice cream stations also were discontinued to limit passenger contact with food.
“Our primary focus was on taking care of our guests and crew. We have a comprehensive plan that outlines protocols for managing this kind of situation and closely follow CDC guidelines for preventing the spread of common stomach-related illnesses,” a Disney spokesperson said to CBS affiliate WKMG.
The last time a Disney ship had a significant illness outbreak was in 2002.
Doctors in masks and white gowns boarded an Air New Zealand plane grounded in Auckland after passengers and crew on board fell ill, a woman who was on the flight says.
Five passengers and one crew member became ill on board flight NZ281 from Singapore, which landed at Auckland International Airport on Friday night.
A spokeswoman for Air New Zealand said one of the people on board was taken to Middlemore Hospital, as a precautionary measure.
The plane landed at 10.35pm and passengers were not allowed to disembark until 11.50pm.
Passenger Aivy Kurian was travelling with her two young children, Emma, 4, and Noeline, 1.
She said while passengers were waiting to board the plane in Singapore, she saw a teenage boy vomiting, and he later boarded the plane.
During the flight, she could hear someone being ill but could see who it was.
About half an hour after the plane landed in Auckland, a group of doctors with “masks and white gowns” boarded the plane.
Kurian said she saw the same teenage boy being assessed by doctors.
An Air New Zealand spokeswoman said the airline was in direct contact with the regional health authority, which confirmed there was insufficient information to know what may have caused the passengers and crew member to become ill.
It may be the smallest-denominated Australian dollar banknote, but a new design for the Aus$5 bill attracted an outsized amount of criticism when it was unveiled Tuesday, with detractors calling it “hideous” and “like vomit.”
The note, which will replace its more bland predecessor from September 1, features a yellow Prickly Moses wattle flower and a colourful Eastern Spinebill native bird.
“Each banknote in the new series will depict a different species of Australian wattle and a native bird within a number of the elements,” Reserve Bank of Australia governor Glenn Stevens said in a statement.
“The designs are the culmination of a process of extensive consultation with subject-matter experts and the cash-handling industry, as well as qualitative research involving focus groups.”
But critics — from social media users to bird-lovers — were quick to express their disdain.
“Our new fivers look like vomit,” one user wrote on Twitter, while another quipped: “A thousand monkeys with a thousand versions of Photoshop could never come up with something as hideous as the new Australian $5 note.”
Whyalla Town Primary School students have been affected by a gastro outbreak while at an Adelaide Hills School Camp yesterday evening.
Between 15-20 students were affected, with two girls and one boy taken to the Women’s and Children’s hospital by emergency services.
Close to 60 Year 6 and 7 students from Whyalla Town Primary were attending the four-day camp.
Albury Park principal David Doherty said two of the children were hospitalised because they were not able to keep down anti-vomiting medication and needed fluids, while the other was an asthmatic.
“I would have to praise the work done by the teachers, under pressure they did a tremendous job at managing the incident,” Mr Doherty said.
Mr Doherty said a bus driver on the camp had also become ill, which could be linked to a possible cause.
“I would be hesistant to say, but it’s possible there was something on that bus which could have contributed,” he said.
Hundreds of travelers struck down by gastro on a south pacific cruise have docked in Melbourne.
Passengers on the Princess Cruises’ Golden Princess were grateful to hit dry land today, after the 14-day cruise of Vanuatu and New Caledonia.
The outbreak comes a month after 158 Sydney-bound passengers became sick on sister ship Diamond Princess.
Kerry McNamara from Barwon Heads said she managed to escape a bout of gastro — with sick passengers quarantine in their rooms — but was hit with the flu.
She estimated that the number of people ill could have hit 300.
“At one stage one of my roommates vomited on her bed and it took three hours to get the sheets changed.”
An elderly man also died of natural causes while on the cruise.
Mrs McNamara said passengers became concerned when “stretcher calls” were made across the 14 days.
Princess Cruises spokesman David Jones refused to release how many passengers had become sick.
Thanks to a barfblog.com fan in Norway who provided the article and translation:
More than 100 participants at the health- and quality-registration conference were ill after eating from a lunch buffet at Radisson Blu Plaza Hotel Oslo on Thursday 10 March. The Norwegian institute of public health (FHI) was co-hosting the conference together with the Norwegian directorate of health.
One-hundred and thirteen people came down with symptoms like nausea, vomiting, abdominal pain and diarrhea. The Norwegian food safety authority has collected samples of food from the buffet and patient samples, while FHI sent out a survey to all the participants (399 of 600 have replied to the survey) but they still cannot confirm whether it was a virus or foodborne pathogen.
The Radisson Blu Plaza Hotel Oslo is a popular conference hotel and has Norways biggest banquet hall.
“There are a lot of sick people. this does happen that often” says department director and co-organizer Marta Ebbing from FHI. She was also affected along with several of her colleagues. “I was acutely ill for a day but haven’t recovered fully yet”.
In the first week of April FHI will be hosting a second conference at the same hotel, topic: Infection prevention and control (Smitteverndagene 2016).
There really hasn’t been an incident like this since 2008 when 70 people caught norovirus at a conference celebrating 60th anniversary of the Norwegian diabetes association.
“it was the second day of the conference and we were celebrating, but people just collapsed. In the end the band just packed their instruments and left” says Allgot. 35 people were hospitalised, but mostly as a precaution for the patients suffering from type 1 diabetes. The remainder of the conference was cancelled.
The Rhode Island Department of Health is investigating Wright’s Farm Restaurant in Burrillville, R.I., NBC 10 News has learned.
Approximately 30 people became ill with gastrointestinal symptoms after eating at the popular restaurant on Sunday, according to the Health Department. Some of those students include members of Bryant University’s men’s lacrosse team.
The team was originally scheduled to be play on Tuesday, March 15 against Siena, but the game was postponed due to a stomach virus they announced.
“Based on their symptoms, we believe it to be norovirus, but we don’t have test results back yet,” Joseph Wendelken, a spokesperson for the Health Department told NBC 10 news.
Denise Senosk of Brookfield, Mass. and 12 other family members, who were at the restaurant as the same time as the Bryant lacrosse team, ate the chicken dinner at Wright’s on Sunday. Unfortunately, eight of the 13 people became ill, she told NBC 10 News.
Nothing was out of the ordinary with the food that she noticed, but she said a little boy vomited not far from where they were sitting in the restaurant.
As many as 40 female students pursuing BSc Nursing at MGM College in Kamothe have been hospitalised after falling ill allegedly due to ‘food poisoning’ after having dinner at the college mess.
API Mukund Salunkhe of Kamothe police station said,” The incident occurred on Sunday night after the students had their dinner at the college mess. The victims started complaining of stomach pain with nausea and dysentery around 3.30am on Monday and hence were admitted to MGM hospital in Kamothe. The MGM hospital management have not reported the matter to the police, however, some parents informed the police after which the Kamothe police has started taking the statements of all the 40 patients.”
Amy and Sorenne and I went to a spring training game in Scottsdale yesterday — Arizona versus Seattle — with the in-laws.
I kept my mouth shut, but after watching and playing hockey, Sorenne and Amy both said, wow, this is boring.
Viewers in Switzerland who sat down to watch Lazio’s 2-0 win over Atalanta on Sunday in soccer – another narcoleptic sport — may have ended up feeling as unsettled as their commentator’s stomach.
In the opening minutes of the Serie A match, the commentary feed fell silent and largely stayed that way for the best part of a minute.
The only sound to be heard above the atmosphere at the Stadio Olimpico was that of the Swiss channel’s commentator retching and heaving.
You can see the footage, which was posted to Facebook by the Average Juventino Guy page. Be warned, it’s not one for the squeamish.
Lazio eventually ran out 2-0 winners over La Dea to keep their hopes of a Europa League place alive.
Around 50 people of Kuchiyatuli village in Sisai block fell ill due to food poisoning on Saturday night after having dinner at a marriage function in Gumla district.
After consuming the meal in the evening, they complained of vomiting, cramps and an upset stomach at around 10.30 pm on Saturday. Three women and four children have been admitted to Gumla district hospital while the others are under observation at Sisai block hospital.
Gumla civil surgeon Dr S N Jha said the victims fell ill after consuming rice and chicken at the wedding. “The local health centre received 15 cases initially. The cases doubled within an hour,” he said, the symptoms indicated a clear case of food poisoning. A team of medical experts were were sent to the village on Sunday morning to monitor the victims’ health . However, contaminated water could also be a reason why the villagers fell ill.