As Scotland grapples with 150 children sick from Norovirus at two schools, it has emerged that a second ill pensioner has died after being sent home hundreds of miles in a taxi from a Scottish hotel.
The Herald Scotland reports the Loch Achray Hotel in Callander, Stirlingshire, sent ill 79-year-old Norma Francis home on a 350-mile taxi journey to her home in Gnosall, Stafford, after showing symptoms of gastric illness.
Norma fell unconscious during the journey and later died in hospital after paramedics were unable to waken her.
Three weeks after Norma died on April 6, the hotel sent guest Carol Whymark, 70, and her husband, 73, home to Suffolk 450 miles in a taxi after it was suspected she was suffering from norovirus.
The pensioner died of a heart attack in hospital the next day.
Her daughter Sharone says the family have instructed lawyers to investigate Carol’s stay at the hotel, booked through Lochs and Glens Holidays Limited.
Sharone, 47, said: “I just think it is terrible that this could have happened once, let alone twice. It’s disgusting.
“I’ve lost my mum, my dad lost his wife and my daughter her nanny. I’m disgusted and this needs investigating.
“I’m still numb really. I still feel angry.”
Carol, who was on a coach tour of Scotland, woke up feeling unwell at the hotel on April 28.
Her daughter said staff told husband Desmond that his wife had norovirus and offered him rubber gloves to clean the room and left food and water outside.
The family claim no appropriate medical advice was given and the hotel simply offered a taxi home.
A post mortem revealed she did not have norovirus in her system and died of the heart attack.
Sharone said: “Mum said she didn’t feel 100 per cent – but there was no evidence of vomiting or loose stools. There was no medical attention at all.
“They said to my dad there was a 90 per cent chance he will catch the virus.
“Half an hour later they said she was fit to travel nine hours home. It’s so wrong.
“When they came and said they would pay for a taxi, she said, ‘Yes, let’s go home’.
“The poor lady who passed away three weeks before, she actually did have norovirus.
“But my mum didn’t have it.
“The hotel thought she had norovirus because the other lady did.