New South Wales Health (that’s the state where Sydney is in Australia) has been notified of four recent cases of bacterial gastroenteritis, prompting NSW Health to issue an alert, particularly to people who may have purchased food at Kenny’s Kebabs at Miranda Fair in January.
Director of South Eastern Sydney Public Heath Unit, Professor Mark Ferson said the 4 patients with bloody diarrhea caused by Shiga-toxin producing E. coli (STEC) bacteria infection were reported yesterday in patients from the Sutherland/St George region.
Patients reported onset of diarrhea between 6 and 10 January. All were admitted to hospital and are recovering.
The South Eastern Sydney Public Health Unit immediately initiated an epidemiological investigation, conducting detailed interviews with cases about a range of risk factors for infection.
Today investigators identified that the common risk was that all 4 cases reported eating food from Kenny’s Kebabs at Miranda Fair between 4th and 8th January 2013. No other common risk factors were identified.
NSW Food Authority today attended Kenny’s Kebabs to undertake an investigation and identified a number of concerns associated with food handling and preparation. As a result the inspection of the premises the NSW Food Authority has issued a Prohibition Order which prevents the business from trading until further notice.
Results from samples taken during testing are yet to be finalised.
Professor Ferson said that investigations were continuing in regard to which particular food may have been contaminated at the Kebab shop, but it is likely that there will be more cases so it’s important to seek medical attention if you have these symptoms.