UK holidaymaker’s payout after contracting E. coli

A holidaymaker has won just under £3,000 in compensation from a travel company after contracting E. coli on one of their holidays.

Vincci Taj Sultan hotel in TunisiaCarl Pallant, 29, from Horsham, was staying with his girlfriend at Vincci Taj Sultan hotel in Tunisia when he caught the disease last summer. He contacted Your Holiday Claims direct who helped him win £2,935 in damages from travel operator Thomas Cook, with whom Mr Pallant had booked the holiday.

In a statement, the solicitors said: “Mr Pallant had booked the Tunisian getaway through the tour operator Thomas Cook.

“He reported that breakdowns in hygiene standards were rife within the hotel’s restaurants.

“Food was often served undercooked and birds were seen flying around open buffet restaurants where food was uncovered.

“Due to the severity of the symptoms suffered, Mr Pallant was admitted to hospital in Crawley for treatment.

“After days of tests it was confirmed that he had contracted E. coli during his stay at the Vincci Taj Sultan.”

Going public saves lives: E. coli kills child in Italy

My Italian food safety friend provides the following:

supershedder.e.coliLast summer, Apulia, a region in Italy’s south, was hit by a hemolytic uremic syndrome (HUS) outbreak with 20 cases; it was eventually linked to dairy products.

When two children came down with HUS in July,2014, authorities insisted that “there was no alarm.”

It is possible there has been no outbreak and no reason to alert the public, but a 18-month child has now died of HUS and it seems that the main reason was that doctors were slow to consider HUS as a possible diagnosis. Perhaps downplaying the issue to the public, including health professionals, has not helped.

E. coli connection in Oregon? 3-year-old girl also gets sick

After seeing reports on KATU TV, the family of a 3-year-old girl who got sick from E. coli is convinced that the case is connected to another case of E. coli that killed 4-year-old Serena Profitt on Monday. Both children were in the same general area just before they got sick.

serena1Serena swam in a section of the South Santiam River in Linn County. Then Aubrie Utter had her birthday at Waterloo Park about 20 minutes away and a few feet from a section of that river. They used a water fountain to fill up water balloons.

Aubrie’s birthday party was Saturday, Aug. 23, and her mother, Katie Hendricks, said her daughter was sick that very night.
“During the middle of the night, she woke up crying (that) her stomach hurt. She had diarrhea,” Katie said.

She brought her daughter to a clinic in Albany and just like with Serena she said they thought it was a minor virus and sent her home. But she just kept getting worse, and her mother brought her back in and demanded they do a blood test.

Two hours later they confirmed Aubrie had E. coli, and she was rushed to Doernbecher Children’s Hospital in Portland, just two doors down from Serena. Aubrie was hospitalized for a full week and underwent five blood transfusions. She recovered but Serena did not.

Now, Katie has a message for other parents.

“I want the public to know,” she said. “You got to push doctors. If they tell you, ‘No, go home,’ – push it, ask for blood work, because my daughter wouldn’t be here today if I wouldn’t have done that.”
A KATU reporter called the Linn County Health Department to see what it is doing about this possible connection. The reporter was told that this was the first it had heard about it.

5 kids sickened by E. coli-related infection in Kentucky

Five Kentucky children were being treated at Kosair Children’s Hospital on Friday for a potentially life-threatening syndrome usually caused by E. coli infection, and the state health department has launched an investigation into how they got sick.

claudia.e.coli.petting.zoo.may.14“There is a cluster of children with” hemolytic uremic syndrome,” said Beth Fisher, a spokeswoman for the Kentucky Department for Public Health. “We don’t know the source at this point.”

Even though the children in this outbreak are from three different counties, officials said, they could have eaten at the same event or restaurant or eaten food that was distributed across counties.

Farm to table: Preventing foodborne outbreaks

Monitoring pathogens for their infectious capacity in humans may not be the best approach to minimize the risk of foodborne outbreaks, say researchers who spoke during the 2014 ASM General Meeting in Boston last May.

lettuce.tomato.skullOther factors come into play—particularly, the ability of some pathogens to colonize food sources, proliferate, and thus amplify the inoculating dose delivered to consumers is critically important, they say. Colonizing food sources also can alter gene expression, increasing pathogenicity and decreasing the infectious dose. Understanding this “ecology” could prove crucial for predicting and preventing foodborne outbreaks.

Greens and produce are major sources of foodborne pathogens, many of which can thrive when greens are cut and processed during food preparation. Produce is the leading source of foodborne illness commonly caused by Salmonella enterica or Escherichia coli O157:H7 on leafy greens, according to Maria Brandl of the U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) in Albany, Calif.

“The continuous rise in the number of outbreaks of foodborne illness linked to fresh fruit and vegetables challenges the notion that enteric pathogens are defined mostly by their ability to colonize the intestinal habitat,” she says. “Enteric pathogens utilize diverse and overlapping strategies to interact with plants and their microflora, and to successfully colonize vertebrate hosts.”

E coli cases set to rise as more opt to use well water in Ireland

‘Are ye still using your own well?” At least once a year my sister Rose asks us this question when she visits. As I nod my head in acquiescence, she inevitability shakes hers in disbelief.

well.waterDr Rose FitzGerald is a Specialist in Public Health Medicine with the Health Service Executive (HSE) and she and her colleagues are the ones who deal at a management level with outbreaks of infection such as those which can occur from drinking contaminated well water.

Outside of this glitch in our character Rose would know us as not otherwise unreasonable people but so frustrated has she become by this behaviour of ours and others in drinking untreated well water than she has come up with the following analogy.

“Drinking your own water while giving system water to the cattle is akin to a dairy farmer drinking milk from his bulk tank while feeding pasteurised milk to his calves.”

The Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) estimates that 720,000 people in Ireland, 17pc of the population, concentrated in rural areas, get their water from private wells. But those who contract VTEC infections are more than twice as likely to have drank well water than the population as a whole. Moreover, as Rose points out, investigations regularly find the exact same organism in the well as in the humans who have been sick.

Not another: Washington 3-year-old girl dies after contracting E. coli

She was a fun-loving girl excited to start preschool. But instead, 3 1/2 year old Brooklyn Hoksbergen ended up in the hospital last week after contracting E. coli. Her family tells KING 5 she passed away Friday.

brooklynn.e.coliHer father, Rob Hoksbergen, says they do not know how or where Brooklyn became sick. She was admitted to Children’s Hospital Wednesday, and initially showed signs of improvement. But doctors tell the family she took a sudden turn for the worse and passed away.

Brooklyn was the youngest of four daughters. No one else in the family is ill. Her funeral is Friday.

Four-year-old Serena Profitt died Monday in Oregon from E. coli.

Oregon 4-year-old girl diagnosed with E. coli dies

Four-year-old Serena Profitt died Monday at Doernbecher Children’s Hospital in Oregon, after being diagnosed with E. coli and a 6-year-old family friend is also sick.

serena1Doctors, at this point, do not know the source of the E. coli.

The pastor said the families played “in a pond in the Lebanon area, playing in a river, and they did eat at a restaurant here in the Lincoln City area. The family has said the one thing those two children did that none of the other kids did was share a sandwich at this particular restaurant.”

The pastor did not name the restaurant.

Serena went into kidney failure and had a stroke Sunday night, KOIN 6 News learned. She suffered severe brain damage and died on Monday.

KOIN 6 News does not know the condition of the 6-year-old boy, who is reportedly being treated in the Tacoma area.

60 sickened: lawsuit filed in E. coli outbreak on Minnesota reservation

A lawsuit has been filed over an E. coli outbreak on a Chippewa reservation in northeastern Minnesota.

potato.saladBob Danielson, a member of the Fond du Lac Lake Superior Chippewa reservation near Cloquet, is suing Jim-N-Jo’s Northland Katering. It provided the food at three events in July at which people got sick.

The owner of the catering company declined comment.

Always tragic: Arkansas teen hospitalized with E. coli infection

A Northwest Arkansas 13-year-old was flown by medical helicopter to Little Rock on Friday after contracting an E. coli infection, his family said.

e.coliO157H7The boy’s grandfather posted a message on social media saying the teenager had an E. coli infection that was affecting his kidneys and liver. The boy’s spleen is also swollen, the grandfather said.

The grandfather posted an update Saturday saying the teen’s kidneys are better, but he still has low blood platelets.

A social media post by the boy’s father from Friday stated he was in Bentonville that day before being airlifted to Arkansas Children’s Hospital in Little Rock.