A hotel in Cardiff remains closed following an outbreak of gastroenteritis leaving 26 people feeling ill.
The Angel Hotel, in Castle Street, was closed this week following the outbreak.
Speaking to the BBCWales, teacher Kevin Waite from Gwaelod-y-Garth, Cardiff, fell ill at the hotel after attending a training event on Friday
He said: “I felt nauseous, I was having hot and cold flushes and my limbs were aching.
“I started vomiting on Sunday and this lasted through until Monday.
“The hotel looked plush, pleasant and clean. There was nothing to point to any problems.”
“I’m shocked and disappointed. But these bugs can happen for many reasons.”
I nag my five daughters about being careful what they post on Facebook, probably the same way my parents nagged me to stop being such an asshole.
A message on Facebook’s “Spotted Cardiff” page alleged a worker sabotaged a customer’s meal in revenge for rudeness, Walesonline reports.
Spotted Cardiff is a page for Facebook users who “need to get something off (their) chest?”
The anonymous post appears to target a group of females who had threatened a female staff member at the Cardiff Excelsior Road drive-through in the UK because she “needed to smile more”.
The post said: “After over hearing the way you spoke to my girl on the head set be picking pubes out your teeth for a week.”
A spokeswoman for KFC told Walesonline: “We have investigated this incident and although there was an altercation in the drive-through between the customers and a member of our team, we do not believe the food was contaminated in any way.
“We have the highest standards of food hygiene and do not tolerate even the suggestion of this kind of behavior, and therefore the employee was suspended as soon as the matter came to our attention.”
The owner of a Cardiff takeaway has, according to BBC News, been jailed for eight months following an outbreak of E. coli.
Diar Wali Ali admitted at Cardiff magistrates’ court to 23 food hygiene offences and was jailed on Monday.
In August 2011, nine customers fell ill with food poisoning after visiting the Adonis Kebab House in City Road, Roath.
The takeaway was closed for two weeks while inspections were carried out and the council was satisfied the risks had been removed.
Councillor Derek Morgan, chair of Cardiff council’s public protection committee, said people had a right to eat safe food and certain levels of hygiene.
“However, where poor hygiene practices and substandard conditions are found, we take immediate action to safeguard public health,” he said.
“I hope this case helps to show how seriously we take this commitment and demonstrate that, where appropriate, we will use the full force of the law to ensure food safety regulations are met.”
WalesOnline reports a further six people are being monitored by public health experts investigating an outbreak of deadly E.coli O157 in Cardiff.
The outbreak control team last night said the number of confirmed cases remained at seven – one person is still seriously ill in hospital after developing symptoms.
The Adonis Kebab House, City Road, which is at the heart of the outbreak, also remains closed more than a week after Cardiff council shut it as a “precautionary measure”.
Consumer Focus Wales last night urged people to check the hygiene scores of their local restaurants and takeaways following the outbreak.
The Adonis Kebab House had a hygiene rating of one (out of a possible five), but that score was only publicized online. A new law proposed by the Welsh Government will mean food businesses are required to display their rating.
Disclosure should be mandatory, otherwise, why bother.
A city kebab house has been closed following an outbreak of E.coli in Cardiff, affecting five people, one of who has been hospitalised.
Two further cases are under investigation but the person taken to hospital was said to be recovering.
Dr Gwen Lowe, Consultant in Communicable Disease Control, Public Health Wales and chairwoman of the Multi-agency Outbreak Control Team, said the Adonis Kebab House, City Road, Cardiff, had been closed by Cardiff Council on August 11, while investigations were carried out. Dr Lowe said letters have been sent to GPs and out of hours services across South East Wales to alert them to the situation.
In April 2007, 135 patrons of the Ffynnon Wen pub in Cardiff, Wales, became sick with norovirus.
Public health types have just published a report, concluding that sick staff likely had returned to work too soon after being ill and were still infectious, unintentionally contaminating customers’ food.
Don’t go to work if you’re sick.
Simon Royal, one of the food poisoning victims, is not happy. He plans to sue Marston’s Inns and Taverns, the company that owns the Ffynnon Wen in Thornhill, Cardiff, and criticized local council for taking so long to publish a full report into the outbreak.
The official report has recommended the council does not take legal action against the pub or the manager because of “insufficient evidence collected during the investigation.”
Investigators discovered two staff members who had suffered from a stomach bug could have returned to work within 48 hours and before they were fully symptom-free, in contravention of the company’s fitness-to-work policy.
Policies are nice, but only if they are enforced.
Bill Marler’s going to London, and if he gets to Wales, beware the Cardiff takeaway.
The South Wales Echo reports that cockroaches, dirt, poor personal hygiene and congealed fat are just some of the shocking details uncovered in health inspector reports on kebab shops and chippies in Caroline Street.
Hundreds of hungry revellers regularly use the street, widely known as Chip Alley (below), after nights out on the town.
But the most recent kitchen hygiene inspection reports, obtained under the Freedom of Information Act, show the street’s takeaways broke food safety regulations more than 70 times.