Ryan posted an Instagram picture of himself in the hospital, hooked up to an IV and looking pretty miserable. He’s doing better now, but Ryan wrote he landed in the hospital because of food poisoning, dehydration and diabetes-related complications. Yikes!
“This is how I spent my Halloween after a series of food-poisoning, dehydration and diabetes-related complications… Life is precious but fragile, and boy did I get that reminder!” Ryan wrote under his picture.
Roaches and fruit flies, as well as grease and dirt build-ups, were noted on the Peachtree Street restaurant’s inspection, which happened last Thursday.
Under Georgia law, the restaurant will be inspected again within the next 10 days. Another failing grade could lead to Chicken & Waffles being shut down temporarily to fix the problems or even having its license revoked.
Gladys Knight has filed a lawsuit to have her name removed from the chain of restaurants now run by her son, Shanga Hankerson. Hankerson has refused.
That move came after federal revenue officials conducted a June raid at all locations of the restaurant and its corporate headquarters.
The Department of Revenue has opened an investigation of Hankerson, alleging he has failed to pay more than $650,000 in sales and withholding taxes.
Some of you might not think much of it. You might think the fact Messi came on later in the game and scored in a 4-0 win suggests this was just a strange, inconsequential moment.
However, this clip takes on a much bigger significance once you look at the considerable history of Messi puking.
Why does this keep happening? There are several theories, but the one offered by former Argentina head coach Alejandro Sabella might be the most revealing. “Nerves. I reckon that in these moments there is anxiety more than anything.”
Not something Messi probably wanted the world to hear, but if that’s true, it does prove a couple of things.
The stress of being a football genius is far greater than many of us realize.
Barcelona’s main man does have at least one human flaw which proves he is not a hi-tech footballing cyborg from the future.
Sam Stanton of The Sacramento Bee writes the Blue Angels flight team abruptly canceled its performance Saturday afternoon at the California Capital Airshow at Mather Airport after the squadron’s commanding officer came down with a form of food poisoning.
Air show officials announced the cancellation after determining that Cmdr. Ryan Bernacchi “contracted a foodborne ailment and is under the medical supervision of the team’s flight surgeon.”
“Cmdr. Bernacchi will be re-evaluated regularly, as the team is hopeful he will be ready to fly for the final day of the air show,” a statement from organizers stated. “At this time, the Blue Angels are scheduled to perform on Sunday as planned.”
Organizers said people who attended Saturday’s show can have their tickets honored for general admission for Sunday’s show, and parking passes will be honored with proof of purchase from Saturday or a parking stub.
The Blue Angels are the U.S. Navy’s flight demonstration squadron and stars of the two-day event at Mather, which last year drew more than 109,000 attendees to the event at the former Mather Air Force Base.
Members of the squadron were among Capital Airshow performers who participated in a Friday night “block party” in midtown where fans were able to meet air show pilots, the Sacramento Kings Dancers and take part in other entertainment.
Up until about 3 p.m. Saturday, there were no indications of problems. Before noon, the Blue Angels’ Twitter account indicated all systems were go: “Happy October, Fans! Today, we turned up and inspected the jets, making sure they were good to go for today’s California Capital Airshow.”
But word that illness had grounded the team led to fans expressing their disappointment on social media, and to a number of suppositions about the origins.
“No more gas station sushi!” one follower tweeted.
In 2004, my laboratory reported (and by reported I mean published in a peer-reviewed journal) that, based on 60 hours of detailed viewing of television cooking shows, an unsafe food handling practice occurred about every four minutes, and that for every safe food handling practice observed, we observed 13 unsafe practices. The most common errors were inadequate hand washing and cross-contamination between raw and ready-to-eat foods.
The abstract is below.
Once the paper was published, it made headlines around the globe.
And then it started getting replicated. Texas, Europe, a few other places, and now Massachusetts.
Compliance With Recommended Food Safety Practices in Television Cooking Shows
Nancy Cohen, Rita Olsen
Journal of Nutrition Education and Behavior, 2016 Aug 28. pii: S1499-4046(16)30715-1. doi: 10.1016/j.jneb.2016.08.002. [Epub ahead of print]
Examine compliance with recommended food safety practices in television cooking shows.
Using a tool based on the Massachusetts Food Establishment Inspection Report, raters examined 39 episodes from 10 television cooking shows.
Chefs demonstrated conformance with good retail practices for proper use and storage of utensils in 78% of episodes; preventing contamination (62%), and fingernail care (82%). However, 50% to 88% of episodes were found to be out of compliance with other personal hygiene practices, proper use of gloves and barriers (85% to 100%), and maintaining proper time and temperature controls (93%). Over 90% failed to conform to recommendations regarding preventing contamination through wiping cloths and washing produce. In only 13% of episodes were food safety practices mentioned.
Conclusions and Implications
There appears to be little attention to food safety during most cooking shows. Celebrity and competing chefs have the opportunity to model and teach good food safety practices for millions of viewers.
Consumers receive information on food preparation from a variety of sources. Numerous studies conducted over the past six years demonstrate that television is one of the primary sources for North Americans. This research reports on an examination and categorization of messages that television food and cooking programs provide to viewers about preparing food safely. During June 2002 and 2003, television food and cooking programs were recorded and reviewed, using a defined list of food safety practices based on criteria established by Food Safety Network researchers. Most surveyed programs were shown on Food Network Canada, a specialty cable channel. On average, 30 percent of the programs viewed were produced in Canada, with the remainder produced in the United States or United Kingdom. Sixty hours of content analysis revealed that the programs contained a total of 916 poor food-handling incidents. When negative food handling behaviors were compared to positive food handling behaviors, it was found that for each positive food handling behavior observed, 13 negative behaviors were observed. Common food safety errors included a lack of hand washing, cross-contamination and time-temperature violations. While television food and cooking programs are an entertainment source, there is an opportunity to improve their content so as to promote safe food handling.
Last time I was at Manhattan High in beautiful downtown Manhattan, Kansas, I gave Bill Murray a don’t eat poop shirt.
Before that, I was called in to help out with outbreaks that seemed to have more to do with lack of toilet paper and other hygienic basics, while school types told the kids it was their fault because they didn’t wash their hands. No tools, no job get done.
According to Samantha Foster of The Topeka Capital-Journal, state and Riley County health officials are investigating after dozens of Manhattan High School students were sent home from school this week with nausea and vomiting.
Jennifer Green, administrative director of the Riley County Health Department, said Friday that the high school informed the health department on Wednesday that more than a dozen students had been sent home with those symptoms since Monday.
At least 16 students were sent home between Monday and Thursday, and the school told the health department 19 students were either sent home Friday or had parents who reported to the school they were experiencing nausea and vomiting, Green said.
Jake Brown of CBS Sport Radio reports: we have heard some stories of Rob Gronkowski’s party ship over the last couple of months. From all accounts, it seems like the ship was one hell of a time if you like to party.
US football player Rob Gronkowski poses as he arrives to the 2016 Vanity Fair Oscar Party on Sunday, February 28, 2016 in Beverly Hills, California. / AFP / ADRIAN SANCHEZ-GONZALEZ (Photo credit should read ADRIAN SANCHEZ-GONZALEZ/AFP/Getty Images)
G Unit’s DJ Whoo Kid, who is a host on SiriusXM’s Shade 45 joined Brandon ‘Scoop B’ Robinson and I on the Brown and Scoop podcast on CBS Radio’s Play.it to give us a unique story from the party ship.
“We damn near messed up that boat so bad that we can never do a party on that cruise ship again. They banned us,” said Whoo Kid. “Somebody shatted and put a 20 dollar bill on the (expletive). They’re trying to go through all the cameras and try to figure out who (expletive) and put this $20 on there. On the VIP section by the pool.”
The question is who in VIP may have committed the…crime.