Bad fish: Australian mother and daughter likely died of scombroid food poisoning in Bali

Autopsies have found scombroid food poisoning likely caused the deaths of Noelene and Yvana Bischoff in Bali last month.

Their family has been told forensic pathologists, who conducted autopsies on Noelene Bischoff, 54, and her 14-year-old daughter Yvana, had found they died from a scombroidcombination of food poisoning and existing medical conditions after they ate fish at a Bali restaurant in early January.

Malcolm Bischoff, Noelene’s brother, said it appeared they both suffered from food poisoning that, coupled with their asthma and, in Noelene’s case, migraine medication had formed a fatal cocktail. “We were happy it wasn’t foul play because that would be disgusting,” Mr Bischoff said.

Scombroid food poisoning can result from eating spoiled fish, meaning the restaurant’s preparation could have made no difference, Mr Bischoff said.

2 thoughts on “Bad fish: Australian mother and daughter likely died of scombroid food poisoning in Bali

  1. This trajedy was completely avoidable. Spoiled fish – what was the restaurant doing preparing spoiled fish in the first place. Of course its there fault.

  2. Sad. I didn’t know histamine exposure was ever fatal by itself. Usually the toxin is already present in the fish when the restaurant gets the food. We’ve seen several cases where bad canned tuna was fed to a bunch of kids in day care, but everyone recovered.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <strike> <strong>